21 September 2014

iPads in the Art Room

We've started using iPads a lot in the Art room this year. In fact, we're using them so much that I created a Donor's Choose project to get more iPads just for us so that we don't have to dip into the school's supply. You can donate here:  http://bit.ly/ipadsfortheartroom!

Here are three ways we've used iPads so far this year:
  1. Let kids post answers to Padlet (kinda like a virtual bulletin board), so everyone has a voice! The page updates in real time, too. Here are some of my 4th grade buddies answering the open-ended prompt, "Art is . . . " and a few of their awesome responses (y'all already know they made me tear up)!

  2.      

  3. Instead of standing in front of the kids and lecturing, I create presentations that they can watch and talk about in small groups. You can see they're engaged in conversation about the content and following the activity prompts on their own. I can answer questions and support students as needed and then review what they've learned when they're all done.



  4. iPad use number three: voting activities! Kids are exposed to different styles of artwork, begin developing personal preferences, and learn to think about, articulate, and defend their choices. We also spend time comparing and contrasting the options. It's a great hook for the beginning of a lesson! iPads help with efficiency and time management here.




What do you think?? How do you use iPads in your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly, my coworker Megan was telling me about all the cool things y'all talk about at Vanguard and I am glad to get these iPad tips - please let me know if you have other apps you really like - knighth@fultonschools.org. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will, Hope!! I am a huge fan of your blog, btw! And I loved the Art Stack worksheet you sent out last week. Happy Friday!

      Delete